Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2/17/13-2/22/13: Panama City to Apalachicola: 60 NM



View My Route in a larger map

I cruised the ICW today for the first time since leaving New Orleans.  It was a cool but nice day and the 54 mile cruise was nice and relaxing.  The only excitement for the day was motoring across Wimico Lake.  The channel is fairly narrow and I read there is no room for error.  The locals say if you get 6 inches out of the channel you will get stuck.  The navigation markers are far enough apart to make it interesting.
Cruising the ICW between Panama City and Apalachicola
Work boat


Dolphin far up the ICW


I keep a close eye on this screen
Apalachicola Marina...by chance found a gem....quiet, clean, and friendly and right next door to the oyster houses.
I motored into Apalachicola about 5:00 pm and started looking for my slip.  It couldn't have been a better fit for me.  I was soon tied up and heading for the shower and oyster house, the Tap Room, to celebrate.  The next couple of days were spent readying the boat for my first overnight passage and walking the town taking in the historic buildings and quaint shops.

The Tin Shed is worth a browse







Famous Boss Oyster House oysters

No comments:

Post a Comment